Project 7: Waterboard Vallei & Veluwe – Implementation of the Anammox technology
This demonstration project contributes to improving energy efficiency in the water chain in general and the waste water treatment plant in special. The highly concentrated rejection water from the digester will be treated with a new energy efficient technology that uses deammonification through the Anammox bacteria. Because this so called “Anammox technology” improves the removal of nitrogen the treatment of waste water is realised in a more sustainable way.
Implementation of the Anammox technology on waste water treatment plant Amersfoort will have two main effects on the energy efficiency:
- On the one hand this will lead to less energy consumption, because 20% of the nitrogen will be treated with 70% less energy.
- On the other hand this will give the opportunity to realise an energy neutral WWTP through the digestion of more carbon, which is no longer needed for nitrogen removal.
The effect of the realization of the plant on the total energy balance will be monitored during the coming years. Specific results will be:
- the impact of the Anammox reactor on the nitrogen removal efficiency of the waste water treatment plant Amersfoort
- energy balances of waste water treatment plant with and without a reactor
- the contribution of the of the implementation of the Annamox technology to the total energy balance of the waste water treatment plant
June 2011 – December 2012